Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 612 cabinets

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Naimare's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 12th, 2009
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    612 cabinets

    Hi :waver:,

    Thinking of building myself 612 utility cabinets in high quality 22mm birch ply for my 604-8Ks (which I use with Jeff Markwarths filter) inspired by this gentlemen's setup.

    Attachment 818

    I like their cool looks and would need somewhat smaller speakers in my room. Current cabinets are the original 620a (made in MDF I believe) which are in rather bad shape.

    Should I expect a significant change in presentation with the 612 cabinets compared to the 620a cabinets I currently use? There is also a subwoofer in my setup.

    Regards
    Naimare

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    612 cabinets


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,261
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 612 cabinets

    The 612 is a nice cab. I think it has or will produce less bass than the 620 though IMO.But not by much, I'm using them now with a 416 and 288/1005's on top. With the 88 shelved they sound nice.The mid range is sweet. But when I had my 604G's in them the bass was even less.The only real way to tell if you will like them is to build one and test it. :2thumbsup:

    Everyone's opinion is different to say the least. A nice cabinet though especially where space limitations is concerned.The 612 is still a pretty big cabinet.I have the C variant.

    I just threw these together over Easter Weekend.I just wanted to test the 288/1005A's but was quite surprised with the result after shelving the N501- X-overs to balance the drivers out. The 612C/416 combination threw out a lot of bass with a 416 in them.Not nearly as much with a 604, big difference in bass response between the 416 and 604 woofers IMO. Good Luck with it Regards!!!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member David Yost's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2002
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 612 cabinets

    That's not a surprise -- the 604 has a 515 motor and needs a bigger box than a 416 for an equivalent F3. Go big to go low and tune your port to the room and your amp.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 612 cabinets

    Hmmm....I wonder if the use of the 605 explains why I don't usually care for the Beatles mixes--too hot! Altec describes the 604 as "well-behaved in small cabinets," and if I understand rightly what they meant by that, that it won't give you a big mid-upper bass hunk, my experience confirms that. I think the point is that drivers with more powerful motors remain more linear in small spaces. I repeatedly see this wisdom about the 416 making better or deeper or bigger bass. Bigger, maybe. I doubt the 416/605 will go much lower in a given cabinet than the 604/515b except perhaps some slight addition as a by product of more overhang/less control, an increase in the kind of bass you may not want to listen to for very long; in other words, more boom. Because of that difference the 416/605 will give slightly greater returns of a kind when using larger boxes. That's my sense of it, anyway, but I don't have the test data or technical knowledge to prove it. Anyway, to get down to specifics, a 6 cu ft box (Lampton and Chase used 5) should be good down to just below 40 Hz with the 604 using a maximally flat alignment, although in some rooms you may want a different tuning. Personally, for music, I've gotten used to speakers that go a little lower than that, but I don't think I'd have much trouble going back to it. I would try to tune for a more gradual roll off into room rise, but at this point I can't say exactly how to do it, but I don't think the blue print 612 specs will give you that.

  5. #5
    HB Super Moderator
    612 cabinets


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,261
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 612 cabinets

    Quote Originally Posted by David Yost View Post
    Go big to go low and tune your port to the room and your amp.
    But the OP said he has a 620 and wants to go smaller due to space


    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    but I don't think the blue print 612 specs will give you that.
    Ditto: But the OP said he has a 620 and wants to go smaller due to space, the 612 still sounds real nice with a 604.Just a little less bass than the 620 so going from a 620 to a 612 he will notice the difference !

    "BUT WITH A SUB WOOFER IN YOUR SETUP IT WILL BE A NON ISSUE I THINK". If you like the look of that cabinet I would go for it, your supplementing the bass anyway with the sub :2thumbsup: IMHO Would love to see it when your done if you decide to do it.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: 612 cabinets

    Quote Originally Posted by Naimare View Post
    Should I expect a significant change in presentation with the 612 cabinets compared to the 620a cabinets I currently use? There is also a subwoofer in my setup.
    Greets!

    The 612 is ~28% smaller, so will in theory need to be tuned lower than the 620 to get ~the same tonal balance down to 60-80 Hz, though I'd try stock first since you have a sub.

    The big difference (if any) though will be due to the lower driver/floor height which IME still won't sound the same even if tilted back. One big advantage to tilting it though is that it helps to average out driver/floor, driver/ceiling eigenmodes as well as floor bounce issues to the LP, making for a smoother measured in-room response, though depending on several variables, not necessarily all that noticeable in music playback.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.